Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hello Cookie: ANZAC biscuits

ANZAC biscuits are traditionally baked and eaten to commemorate ANZAC Day (April 25th), a day which honours Australians and New Zealanders who have served in wars since World War I.

Anzacs are characterised by their oat-filled goodness and long shelf life, due to their lack of perishables such as eggs. Golden syrup is a key ingredient, although I admit that I’ve always used honey up till now, and it tastes the same. This recipe is one from my school days (ahem, do they even teach Cooking at school anymore?).

And though I’ve included them in my Hello Cookie project, please remember that these are Biscuits, not cookies!



ANZAC Biscuits

makes about 35

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
¾ cup desiccated coconut
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons boiling water

Method
1. Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut.
2. Melt butter and golden syrup in saucepan over gentle heat.
3. Mix baking soda with boiling water in a cup and add to melted butter mixture. Stir into dry ingredients
4. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on baking sheets lined with paper. Flatten slightly with your hand. Allow room for spreading
5. Bake in 160 deg C oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Cool on trays for 5 mins, then transfer to wire racks.

Ingredients; mix melted butter/baking soda into flour, oats, coconut; mix


Roll mixture into balls (flatten them a bit if you like); then bake


ANZAC biscuits keep for ages (3 weeks?) ...if you can wait that long!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh I was tossing up whether to make some this week or not but I'm out of too many ingredients so I opted not to. I think I'll just drink yours up with my eyes instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even thought of Anzac biscuits for Anzac day, so I'm impressed with your timeliness. My mum makes them quite domed and soft and my granny makes them quite flat and crunchy/chewy. I should compare their recipes to find out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I use to make this at cooking in school too! Was a high school fave of mine - all chewy, oatey and golden syrupy. I've yet to make my annual batch but drooling at yours might spur me to make it sooner than later :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohh I love ANZAC biscuiitttsss ^^! Yours look sooo gooodddddd! Yay for Hello Cookie project ^^!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH YUMMMMMMMMMMM
    your cookies turned out brilliant!

    Hmmm since im super lazy to make some im going to have to go to the shops and buy a packet LOL =(
    Lame i know

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Lorraine - I hate it when I run out of an ingredient I need. I'm sure you made something nice anyway.

    hi Arwen - I'm surprised at myself for being on time for once! You're supposed to flatten the bikkies, but I didn't hence the rounded shape.

    hi Karen - ah, I used to hate home economics! Times have changed - hope you got round to making some Anzacs too.

    hi FFichiban - go Cookie! Can't wait for the next one!

    hi Leona - thanks! They're very easy to make, but I suppose bought ones are just as good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin