Monday, November 8, 2010

delicious Greek lamb meatball salad

New cookbook alert!!! delicious. More Please.
That's the name of the cookbook, though I wouldn't complain if my dinner guests uttered those words.

This is a recipe from delicious. More Please, a collection of '120 all-new recipes for every season'.  Menus are provided for each season (autumn, winter, spring, summer), and they are accompanied by the usual gorgeous delicious styling and photography.  And if you are familiar with delicious magazine, you are virtually guaranteed that the recipes will work and work well. 

If I had to find a complaint about the book, it would be that some of the 'all-new' recipes are also in the current delicious magazine and have also appeared in newspapers. And for the grammar and punctuation purists out there: shouldn't it be More [comma] Please? Oh gosh, I'm turning into a crotchety school marm. Just try this recipe, it's really delicious. Off now to put my hair into a bun (with a lead pencil pushed through it).

Greek lamb meatball salad
serves 4

Ingredients
2 tblsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
500g lamb mince
1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs or 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (280g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs finely chopped mint leaves 
2 baby cos, leaves separated
2 roasted capsicums, cut into strips
1 small telegraph cucumber, halved lengthways, sliced

Method
1.  For the meatballs: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frypan over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes until softened.  Add the garlic, cumin and paprika and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.  Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
2.  Once the onion mix is cool, add the lamb mince, breadcrumbs and egg.  Season with salt and pepper, then combine well.  With damp hands, form the mixture into 20 walnut-sized balls.  Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3.  Preheat oven to 180C.
4.  Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat.  In batches, cook the meatballs, turning, for 3-4 minutes until browned all over.  Place on a large baking tray and bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes until cooked through.
5.  For the dressing: Place the yoghurt in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of chopped mint.  Season with salt and pepper, then stir to combine.
6.  To serve: Arrange the lettuce, capsicum and cucumber in a serving platter. Scatter the meatballs on top and drizzle with the yoghurt. 

recipe adapted from delicious. More Please

Ingredients, including lamb mince, onion, garlic, egg, paprika, cumin, store-bought roasted capsicum and cos lettuce. 

Let's see more of that cos...
This is a baby cos heart. Beautifully crisp.


The onion is cooked with the garlic and spices, then the meatballs are rolled into balls. Yes, I used dried breadcrumbs, and they are fine.
The salad is drizzled with a fresh, minty yoghurt dressing.


Another delicious recipe. More, please!

13 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so tasty & fresh yet very satisfying. I love salad, it reminds me summer is near :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meatballs in a salad sounds awesome!

    I bet you'll be able to win a few friends with this salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bel, these sound wonderful! I used to love something similar called 'kefta' with yogurt-so good. Lamb and yogurt were like meant to be eaten together (smile)...
    Oh, and the way you made it into a healthy salad is genius;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like an awesome recipe and if all in the cookbook are as good as this - I want!

    Anything lamb and Greek appeals to me...really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this meatball salad...colourful, healthy and flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Bel, your lamb meatballs look so yummie, I still have to try to make meatballs with lamb...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dish just calls out to me!! lamb meat balls drizzled with minty yoghurt! in a healthy salad..
    BONUS! love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meatballs are the ultimate comfort food to me. salad just makes it all better... since I need to fit into something presentable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post came at a perfect time. I was just saying to my family that I'd cook a Greek inspired feast for dinner on Thursday night, and thanks to you I've got one of my dishes! Might have a crack at moussaka (spelling? no idea) too...Thanks Bel :)

    Emma @ TheFoodRookie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking about making this from the latest issue and you've convinced me! Looks lovely (as good as the magazine) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your presentation of this. So fresh and tasty looking! Something about lamb and yoghurt that is so enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A salady version of a kofta kebab, nice! I just wish I had a cute little cos like that.. the one in my fridge at the moment is a big momma and was covered in sand and dead ladybugs. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it =) Only lamb I've ever had are chops and loin, must give mince a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin